15 May 2023
What is MDM? (Mobile Device Management)
MDM stands for Mobile Device Management. It is a technology solution for securing and managing mobile devices like smartphones, tablets, and laptops. MDM aims to allow organisations to manage and secure the devices and data they use while also improving user productivity.
MDM typically includes the following features:
- Device enrolment and provisioning: MDM solutions allow organisations to enrol devices and configure them with the necessary policies and settings.
- Remote wipe: In case of a lost or stolen device, MDM solutions allow administrators to wipe the device remotely, protecting sensitive data.
- Software updates: MDM solutions can automatically install software updates, ensuring that devices are up-to-date with the latest security patches and feature releases.
- Security policies: MDM solutions allow organisations to enforce security policies, such as password requirements, encryption, and access restrictions.
- Inventory management: MDM solutions can track and manage the inventory of mobile devices, including device type, operating system version, and other relevant information.
- App management: MDM solutions can be used to manage the distribution and deployment of mobile apps, ensuring that users have access to the apps they need to be productive.
Overall, MDM provides organisations with a centralised and secure way to manage and support their mobile devices while reducing the risks associated with mobile devices and data.
Why outsource MDM?
There are several reasons why organisations might choose to outsource their mobile device management (MDM):
- Expertise and resources: MDM providers have specialised expertise in managing and securing mobile devices and can offer higher security and support than in-house teams.
- Cost savings: Outsourcing MDM can reduce the costs associated with procuring, maintaining, and supporting mobile devices, as well as the costs associated with training and staffing an in-house team.
- Scalability: As organisations grow, the number of mobile devices they use can also increase, making it more challenging to manage them in-house. MDM providers can scale their services to accommodate this growth, helping organisations avoid costly and time-consuming transitions.
- Improved security: MDM providers have the tools, processes, and expertise to secure mobile devices against cyber threats and data breaches.
- Better device management: MDM providers have the tools and processes to efficiently manage a large fleet of devices, including tracking inventory, provisioning new devices, and providing remote support.
- Access to new technologies: MDM providers have access to the latest mobile technologies and can help organisations stay ahead of the curve regarding device management and security.
Outsourcing MDM can significantly benefit organisations regarding cost savings, improved security, and better device management. By working with a trusted provider, organisations can focus on their core business activities while ensuring their mobile devices are secure and well-supported.
Gartner: Outsourcing can enable enterprises to reduce costs, accelerate time to market, and take advantage of external expertise, assets and/or intellectual property.
VoicePlus have the experience and expertise to transform complex problems into simple solutions that meet the needs of all departments and help keep your staff secure and satisfied. Talk to an Expert
Want to know more?
- What is EMM ? (Enterprise Managed Mobility)
- What is Mobile Application Management ?
- What is Mobile Content Management ?
- What is Mobile Information Management ?
- What is Mobile Identity Management ?